28 - 754 - 2 months ago

How realistic is it to believe in highschool sweethearts?

My boyfriend and I have been dating since high school and are in a long distance relationship too. Like most couples we have had some really tough times. Some days are definitely better than others. But we have been doing well. High school sweethearts are usually considered wishful thinking and immature. Honeymoon phase even. But we both can see a realistic future together.

Is it immature to think we'd end up being "high school sweethearts"? Or is it too soon to tell?

Hannah - Dating - - level 20

Your reaction:

Reactions (28)

2 months ago

High School sweethearts are a real thing. Me and my fiance have been together since sophomore year high school. We going on 17 years in March. We now have three kids And it hasn't been easy by no means. If you stick with it and work hard and work. All relationships require work you just have to remember that y'all are not going to be the same people that y'all met in high school. You both will change tremendously and you just have to figure out if you want to work through the change or separate. You both have to be willing to work and fight hard for this relationship and it will grant you the greatest rewards . We worked through and now we're stronger than ever.

Shanti - 30yo - level 23 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Same as others here, my wife and I have been together since 10th grade. Going on 27 years now. STILL in the honeymoon phase. Don’t scare yourself out of a good relationship. Just about every other couple we know has horror stories, and wish their relationship was like ours. You got this. 👍🏻

Michael - 43yo - level 32 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It's not immature at all. It's like any other thing you want to achieve in life... it depends on your level of commitment and determination. It also takes both of you to feel the same and lots of hard work. You can do anything you set your mind to. You are not everyone else and should never base what you're choosing for your life on anyone else's opinions. Your boyfriend's opinion and yours are all that determines what you can achieve together. 😉

Valerie - 48yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

My parents met when they were 14, they've been married for 40 years! Of course it's possible. The hard part I think is the amount you both will change over your first 20 years. College, kids, mid life crisis. As long as you can love each other through all of it, and not expect each other to satu the same, the better. ❤️

Catherine - 33yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

If you both love each other the same amount, have similar passions in life you’re willing to support each other in accomplishing, and you just know they’re the one perfectly made for you, you will make it. Together, if you’re already planning out your future and you don’t doubt it and feel wrong about it in your heart, it can work. I am in the exact same situation and I know I will marry this man, even though we just graduated high school and are now 5,000 miles apart. It is not immature if it is the right person.

Dalma - 18yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It is definitely possible. My wife and I met 9th grade year and have been together every since. 27 years together and 23 married! Keep pressing for your relationship!!

Courtney - 42yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Its possible with work keep that spark alive fo new things together keep your relationship alive dont just get caught up in life an forget what made you fall in love in the first place

Christopher - 37yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Too soon

William - 36yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

High school sweethearts...just communicate with each other always..even if it hurts the other person...never go to bed mad

Babygirl - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

The hardest part about high school sweethearts is that you don't really have anything to compare your relationship to. If you are happy and he is treating you well, then stay with it. But if you are having doubts or he is behaving in ways that make you feel less than important (taking for granted that you will always be there) then it's time for a serious talk.

Jim - 48yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

I was with mine for 20 years until he fell in love with pills, other drugs, and alcohol. totally a real thing. I have friends who are still married to theirs and going strong 25 years later. =)

JoAnna - 40yo - level 37 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It's not impossible, and does happen, but you're missing out on a lot. My wife and I met in college and clicked immediately (after dating around in HS and early in college). We still weren't sure we wanted to get married in our early 20s so we went on a break (remaining friends and even roommates for some of that time). Dating other people and being apart made us realize that we wanted to be with each other. Take a break and see what else is out there, no strings. If you still want to be together after that time apart, you're probably making the right decision. Don't miss the opportunity to see what's out there or you may end up spending the rest of your life wondering what if.

Craig - 36yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It’s a terrible idea even if you do end up together. Rather experience different types of life and love even if you find your way back to each other in the end. It’s a hard NO from me

Lola - 29yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Being high-school sweethearts and working out is realistic and creates a deep romantic bond in my opinion. Long distance relationships obviously can work but they would concern me more. I couldn't do it, it requires 2 really strong willed people and when you get back little changes in people can seem more pronounced. Good luck.

Pablo - 42yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

My brother and his wife have been dating since senior year. 2 couple friends I have have been dating since Junior high- they are all in their late 30s, all amazing together. Some people get lucky and meet the right one early. Just make sure you are staying together for the right reasons, and don't worry about the naysayers.

Julie - 37yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

If you love each other and I’m sure you do, you’d end up back together anyhow if you decided to split.

Tracy - 41yo - level 29 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

High school sweethearts have made many a long relationship. Go with your heart and don't overthink. 💗

Lily - 20yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It depends. I fell in love with my best friend and we dated for more than 5 years. However, our last year we were on a long distance relationship and eventually broke up. I don’t think it’s inmature, but if the relationship stops working is preferable to move on. Currently i am on a long distance relationship with another person and is working. Sometimes things are meant to be.

Laura - 29yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

You both need to grow. Whether that's together or apart only time will tell.

Emi - 40yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Don't think about other opinions. Do what feels right to you!

Nick - 27yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

I think real love is real love,it doesn’t matter where you find it.

Dewese - 33yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

It depends on how long you've been together, how much love there genuinely is, and how much you're willing to work on the relationship. I've been with my fianceé 3 and a half years now and I was still in high school when we got engaged, but I haven't regretted it for a second (:

RANCH IT UP - 19yo - level 42 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

I spent 15 years with my high school sweetheart. I think its definitely a possibility. We had a lot of ups and downs in the beginning too.

Daisy - 35yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

My fiance and I began dating at 15 as 17, as first boyfriend and girlfriend for each other. We are getting married this year.
We spent 2 years long distance while I finished high school, then another year and a half for me to finish college while he worked. He honestly sucks long distance, there were better days and terrible days. But we made it through alright. The hard times made us stronger. It feels like a lot but it's possible if you're committed (and compatible). We went to couples counseling twice, even.
Just please do not stay in an unhealthy relationship where you are unhappy just to keep the label of high school sweethearts. If either of you are the types who want to date about or experiment it might not be for you.
It is possible. Very much so. I'm very happy with my choices even though I can look back and see some were not the smartest. You both must be in it though. It's only possible if you work really hard

Faith - 22yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

If the love is there then it will work out in the end everything is always in God's hands pray about it think about it before you say it or fight about it

J.c. - 35yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

I think it depends on the couple. I got married at 18 and don’t regret it.

Phoenix - 37yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

Speaking from personal experience I think it's alpt more work just because as you mature and grow up you also make some bug mistakes but I believe it's worth the extra work if you truly love each other. I married my high school sweetheart and I can't imagine life without him

Nicole - 37yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
2 months ago

You did not write how long you and your bf have been dating. Regardless, this shows both of you are adults and mature: “But we both can see a realistic future together.” Good luck!

Jude - 31yo - level 18 -
2 months ago

4 years.

Hannah - Dating - - level 20 -
Add a comment Send

Your reaction: