34 - 569 - 6 months ago

Your partner is a Christian and attends church every Sunday and prays before every meal. You have not been exposed to Christianity in any meaningful way.
Do you..
1. Go to church every Sunday and pray with him at every meal.
2. Go to church on holidays and be respectful and bow your head when he prays before the meal.
3. I'm in all the way. I want to be part of his world of faith
4. No church No way. But I'll pretend to pray with him at each meal
5. No church no prayers.

Keith - 57yo - level 11

Your reaction:

Reactions (34)

6 months ago

In my opinion, his beliefs are the same important as yours. If you don't believe you don't need to pray or do to church. It doesn't mean that you don't support him, you should respect and support the things that he does, but don't need to do them yourself ))

Alicia - 23yo - level 36 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

I believe it it more disrespectful to lie to your partner and go to services and pray than it is to dtick to your beliefs.

Kailey - 22yo - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Honestly my partner and I have different religious backgrounds. She's Norse Pagan and I don't think I have a religion. I believe in some parts of Buddhism, but I don't find him to be a deity or Godlike. I grew up Buddhist though. Anyways! We knew from the get go and if we are very open-minded when it comes to each other's beliefs and my lack thereof. If you love your partner, you shouldn't fake that you're religious if you're not and you most definitely shouldn't pretend that you have their beliefs if you don't. They need to know the truth and you need to be your authentic self. It's cool if you wanna give it a try and see if you like it or not, but don't pretend that you do if you find that you don't.

Solina - 24yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Break up with them, I don't want a religious partner.

Brandon - level 36 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

This is my relationship. I'm a Catholic and my girlfriend is an agnostic. I have no expectations of her. If she comes with me to Mass, wonderful. If she does not, I'm okay with that. Each of us has to do what is beneficial for our own spiritual life. She joins me many Sundays, and I appreciate that. But the Sundays she chooses not to join me, I'm okay with those as well.

BJ - 45yo - level 37 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

5. I'm an atheist and I think you shouldn't do anything you don't want to do only to please your partner.

Gabriela - 23yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

I'll eat food

Anurag - 25yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

5, believe or don’t believe in what you want, not want they want.

Mia - 24yo - level 41 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

I might go to church with him on holidays knowing that it’ll make him happy. In general i would be honest and tell him that his belief isn’t for me, but he should do what’s best for him as long as he doesn’t have any expectations of me. I don’t have this difference in my relationship but my partner loves football so I went to see a game with him last weekend (which was the first time in two years+) and he was really excited about it. I think sometimes it’s nice to do something you wouldn’t do normally to see your partner happy.

Lena - 28yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Macarena - 22yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Del - 36yo - level 39 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

His beliefs are as important as mine

Amber - 42yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

If you want to go far in your relationship it is important that you are both passionate about the same faith. It will make a big and long lasting difference in your lives for the better.

Duane - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

#3 for sure! How could it hurt to have something to hope for? How great would it be to know there is a place with no more tears, pain, sin, or death?? And if you're wrong and there ends up being nothing (which I know is so false, but many believe so hear me out) at least you lived your best life and held on to a strong hope. There is so much joy we are missing out on. If it were more accepted to change your heart instead of your gender, what a difference we could make in the name of God's love.

Bethany - 33yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

3. I’m all the way in because in this scenario I’m the one with the faith and he currently does not share that with me. And not only do I want him to explore my faith I want him to discover his own

Dionne - 20yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

I would make the decision to be supportive of their faith, and attend and do what I dealt comfortable with as I began my exploration of Christianity to see where I fit.

Chad - 36yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Spirituality and faith are highly personal. You cannot force yourself to believe in something. If you don't feel like going to church or praying before meals, then don't. Your partner should love you and respect you either way

Maryna - 24yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

I am agnostic and my boyfriend Christian catholic. He goes to mass every Sunday, while I only visit the church in special occasions like a marriage or so.
I completely respect his religion and he completely respects me. We both knew since the begging of our relationship that our perspective is different but that wasn't a problem at all. I believe nobody should pretend something he isn't just because he think his significant other will be happy. Honesty and respect keeps a couple together.

Maria - 27yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Hi guys. I know you aren't expecting a better answer from me, but I'll try. I'm from India where our mythology has a stronghold on our religious faiths. Here comes the story of a wife who restrained the God for her husband 's life. This is believed to be true according to our Hindu religion (largest religious community of India) folk lore.

Centuries before, when the Gods were available at our reach, unlike the government now to hear our concerns, there was a woman named Sati Savithri, wife of satyavan. Being a princess, she was living in the forest along with her husband due to some backstory. She was a religious person and considered chaste and perfect in her duties and responsibilities as a wife to her husband.

All of a sudden her husband collapses while chopping the wood nearby. YAMA, the God of death who is responsible for everyone's death, appears to claim his soul. Sati Savithri who is vexed with this work of the God, she drags the Gods feet by not letting him to take her partner's soul. Carrying the soul in his magical leash the god reaches the skies and she still doesn't leave his feet. She obediently requests him to give back the soul of her husband, for which the God denies. She even dares him that she will be ready to sacrifice herself in return of his husband's.

Heartfelt by hearing this, God grants her 3 wishes instead of her husband's soul. Intelligently and obediently she asks for 100 children, being a chaste wife to her husband. God rethinks this and comes to a subtle thought that that if he grants her wish without giving her husband's soul back, how can she bear 100 children and that too being a chaste wife.

Convinced God returns her husband's soul and asks her a question.
"Who's the bigger God, Me or your husband?", he asks her and she replies that "For a Hindu wife, the Husband is the First immediate God to worship".

Earnest God after hearing this, blesses her that she will become

Sanjay - 27yo - level 1 -
6 months ago

'The greatest wife' and will be an example to all the married women. Till now, centuries later she is considered the greatest wife and she is worshipped every year on a specific day, a festival to all the married and unmarried women in India.

My concern here is when a woman fights the God for her partner's life and even confirms that Husband is greater than God, then why can't the partners understand and respect the religious beliefs of the other. You don't need to drag the Gods feet for the sake of ur partner's life. Just bow your head for a minute and let him/her know that you are respectful to their religious beliefs. Here you are just proving to yourself that you believe in their prayer but not in their God until ur heart says so. Very simple.

- Pardon for making it this long and for my broken English. I hope you understand my thought behind this. Happy Loving!

Sanjay - 27yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Number 4, I'll be respectful of any religion or belief.

Heather - 32yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Go to church and pray with him at every meal

Derrik McLean - 25yo - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

All the way in.

Helena - 25yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Matt - 32yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

3. I'm all in

If this will be a lasting relationship and his faith is that important to him, I will learn about it and support him. Unless it is something completely unreasonable, I will be a part of what is happening in his life.

Tee - 42yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Religion is for practicing people really important, and depending on how tolerant he is, but it definitely ways a lot in his life. So I would give it a try to see how you get along. I'm sure it would give a good couple push. And maybe you even like it.

Danilo - 33yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

If it's important to them, definitely give it a chance. It'd be worth at least seeing how it could affect your life. If it's not for you, you can have a conversation about it with some experience to draw on, rather than just assume it won't work.

Bethany - 38yo - level 45 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Just be open to new things and dont pretend or be fake just be honest with him and if hes a Christian then he knows the power of God and just participating and being open is enough. God will do the rest for you.

Curtis - 31yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Religion is too essential an aspect to BS your way through. You need to have an honest talk, and come to an acceptable conclusion fir your relationship and family

Es - 37yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

2 with an asterisk ✳
Only do it if it doesn't violated your own emotional integrity.

Teena - 25yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

2. It's kind and loving to be there for them even if it's not for you. Is not a lot to go occasionally to show this love.

Jul - 49yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Johan - 33yo - level 30 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Brandon - 27yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

Josh - 29yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago