28 - 511 - 9 months ago

How do you balance date-budgets? Eg when one person likes fancy restaurants but the other is on a student budget and would rather cook at home/not get dessert/coffee/all the little extras.

Alanna - level 37

Your reaction:

Reactions (28)

8 months ago

Be creative. Groupon, coupons, special events with discounts, there are ways to have "inexpensive, fancy dates." The thing here is planning, preparing, and remaining open minded. You may have some events you like more than others, but both of you get to try new things and have turns at the kind of dates you like.

Tee - 42yo - level 5 -
8 months ago

I AGREE WITH GROUPON lol; we’ve used it a few times for little family things or dates at museums, aquariums, roller skating etc to help keep costs down on those sorts of activities when we really want to go do something.

Kirsten - 21yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

We’re married so we have the same budget lol... we don’t do fancy restaurants often unless they’re running a deal or something cause we prioritize other things in our life to spend the money on. I’d say you just have to compromise on it. My husband used to be a bigger spender but nowadays he’s calmed down on it after seeing how important a budget is for our family and well-being. Our compromise is going out once a month or so max to a mid-priced restaurant but otherwise keeping the costs down. As far as coffees and snacks that’s also rare but we each have personal spending account with a few bucks a week going into them so if we want to we can get something little for ourselves.

Kirsten - 21yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I like the Groupon idea, but if someone like fancy restaurants, and they are too expensive for their partner’s budget, then it seems like the partner who wants to go to the fancy restaurants all the time should be paying for dinner, except for on special occasions and the occasional just because splurge.

Laci - 33yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Agree on the budget before, compromise

Paulina - 27yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Groupon!! It’s an amazing place to find good deals on a budget that allow for new adventures. Compromise on both parts is key as well realizing there are goals insight for the future. Sacrifice now pays off later. The bigger picture has to be kept in the limelight. While at the same time a splurge now and again is also good for the soul.

Michelle - 50yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

The fancy restaurant person pay. 😉

Magnus - 30yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

We wouldn't get the extras like appetizer, deserts ECT. Sharing a large plate helps a lot too.

Dannie - 31yo - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

go to a dollar movie & then let the person with the larger budget buy dinner!!

Teresa - 43yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

work it out

Mark - 48yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

You have to stay within your budget but more importantly you need to communicate. It's not going to be a very good date of one person is either feeling financially overwhelmed or the other is internally pouting because they went to a pizza slice joint

Scott - 41yo - level 29 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I would treat for dinner occasionally.

Rhonda - 57yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I choose the option that makes her happy. I love to cook, and I also love fancy restaurants. I'm happy either way.

David queen - 37yo - level 29 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

The one that like the fancy restaurant needs to pay

Stacy - 53yo - level 2 -
8 months ago

This is what I agree with. If you ask him out to a fancy restaurant, knowing he can't afford it, you should pay. If he asks you out and then cooks a nice dinner for you, then he pays for the ingredients, but he's also paying in the time it takes him to cook it.

Damion - 27yo - level 35 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

2 dates.. One at each place. The one who prefers fancy restaurants pays for that one, and the one who prefers to cook at home does just that.

Michael - 44yo - level 34 -
8 months ago

I agree, alternate & base the date on ur own budgets!

Laura Maguire - 33yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Talk about it and go from there! Explain that since you're on a budget, you dont have the luxury of spending more than X amount of money per month. Follow that up with a few suggestions for compromises. Maybe one could be that when it's your turn to pay for a date, that date wont be held at as extravagant of restaurants or cant go over $X and anything extra he is welcome to get himself. Another could be that when you go to a fancy dinner he could get the entrees and you get the drinks or the tip or something smaller. Hope that helps!!

Elena - 22yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Go on a picnic at the lake. Cheap and good quality time together

Matthew - 34yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I think both should plan dates in different ways they can live with. One with means should not ONLY plan high ticket dates, coming up with ideas that cost little to nothing. One with limited means should come up with date ideas that are super creative or special, as well as ones that cost little to no money. This way no one feels put out.

Christine - 44yo - level 39 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I’d say take turns doing it both ways. Other times, maybe compromise and find other ways to meet in the middle. Maybe a picnic with higher quality food, than the reg sandwiches and maybe some wine. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! Good luck!🍀

Deanna - 47yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I think one can save for a meal in a restaurant. It's a nice experience to have once in a while. Other dates may be less expensive if well considered (and hence also special).

Jurģis - 33yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I ask my gf how much she wants to spend on a meal, and I ifni want to gone somewhere more fancy then I pay the surplus.

-
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Home cooked meal can be really romantic ! Since you both have different budgets try to find a date that can fit both your budget!

Michelle - 40yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Find places that are good middle ground and considerate of both persons budget. Also you can bring the fancy restaurant home- cook a romantic meal, set the table with candle light and go from there.

Watson - 29yo - level 39 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I put $20 each week into a date account which is connected to my savings button on my eftpos card. This way dates are budgeted for and kept separate to my everyday spending. For fancy dates or trips away the money is accumulated or for simple dates it's spent regularly in small amounts. He does something similar on his end too but puts a larger amount aside since he works for time and I'm a student. I however only spend what I have in my date account which creates a healthy boundary.

Lisa - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Go for a fancy dining once in a while, to curb the expenses. Cook at home sometimes, with a nice ambience and some wine, or with a movie.

Nandita - 21yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Save money

Angie - 43yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Date budget. What's that.

:(

Virginia - 52yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

My boyfriend and I planned our budget in the beginning of the month, and we spared the same amount of money to one shared bank account that is different with our personal account. So every spending needs to be a mutual decision of both, so we can plan when to go into fancy restaurant and when to strolling over streetfoods! 😊

Arsa - 23yo - level 24 -
Add a comment Send
9 months ago

This is where you have to be honest and plan. Let your partner know you’re on a budget and can only do a fancy meal once a month (or whatever your budget can handle), and you’ll make them lovely homemade meals otherwise. If they can’t respect that you’re being financially responsible for your own (and possibly their) future, then it may not be a healthy relationship.

Chrissy - 34yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send

Your reaction: