117 - 928 - 7 months ago

Is it ok for couples to have friends of the opposite sex?

Jeff - level 16

Your reaction:

Reactions (116)

7 months ago

Yes, it is acceptable to have friends of the opposite sex. However, if you know you always have more than platonic feelings for said opposite sex such as you would have sex with them if the opportunity arises regardless of being in a relationship with someone else, then I would refrain. If you know that you only have eyes for your partner and have self control and understand boundaries, then I would say, go make friends.

Solina - 24yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes I trust my wife 100%

Richard - 36yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. You should be able to be friends with the people you want and so should your partner. If there is a trust issue that is a different issue to work through all together

Gregory - 30yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course! It’s important to have supports and interests outside of your relationship— and you should be able to trust your partner enough to let them have a social life.

Morgan - 24yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, you can have friends of opposite gender. But do remember not to get overly close. Feelings being developed is a choice. You should always remember that.

James - 28yo - level 41 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

of course! If you are in a real relationship it shld not matter.
Friends are friends no matter their sex and your partner should appreciate this. If not u have trust issues

Peter - 60yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course

Pete - 44yo - level 39 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Shantel - 31yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. There should be enough trust that the other the other person can have friends of the opposite gender. The other person should also be able to cut off friendships if they become more than platonic.

Judy - 25yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes of course

Eric Schutz - 36yo - level 44 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Kayla - 28yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Gary - 48yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes,

Nitin - 28yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I work with men continually in my field of work so my boyfriend and I talked from the very beginning if this was going to be an issue or not. And we talked about what would make each other uncomfortable for certain situations. We trust each other completely, but know that sometimes we as humans can feel jealous so our hope for each other is when we feel jealous we talk about it. We are in a LDR so we had to cover hard topics sooner then some couples and discuss what we would do when these situations arose.

My best advice is to talk to your SO about your feelings and try to come to a mutual ground that both of you agree too.

Vanessa - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

100%! A friendship should be based on how well you connect with someone's character, regardless of their genitals.

Malika - 31yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, only if you and your friend stick to the friend part. Sometimes feelings are developed and there’s where the problems begin.

Valeria - 23yo - level 39 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Depends. Are they really JUST friends? Have they been intimate? Is the spouse comfortable with it? Honestly depends. Short answer? Yes. But you have to respect your partner at the same time.

Tiffany - 33yo - level 27 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course

Brian - 46yo - level 37 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely. Especially if it’s all in the same group or you can introduce them to your S/O if insecurities is a thing. But sometimes getting advice from the other gender helps with your relationship too

Laura - 24yo - level 26 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Kristina - 42yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. Comes down to trust. And why should I limit relational experiences of my partner due to my insecurities ?

Es - 37yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Holly - 47yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely!

Tobias - 47yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

angela - 41yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely! No one should control your friendships, if someone tries that is a huge red flag that they are not ready to trust or be in a serious commitment.

Dana - 32yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, as long as there are clear boundaries.

Megan - 27yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I say yes, as long as you know that it's only a friendship!

Renee - 32yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes and only yes, friendships are essential no matter who they're with

Andreas - 25yo - level 30 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Amanda - 40yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely, I think it is ok for couples to have friends of the opposite sex..there should be mutual trust and understanding. Where that trust is broken then there is something to be concerned about.

DNQA - 23yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course

Bethany - 26yo - level 35 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely! Opposite gender friends can also give you insight about what your partner might be thinking or feeling. I myself have always had more male than female friends and it's never been in issue for a long-term relationship

Paula - 40yo - level 52 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Lilah - 33yo - level 40 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. There's nothing wrong with friendship. Respect your friendship, and respect your relationship. If there are trust issues, discuss them.

Alex - 20yo - level 30 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I believe that it is perfectly fine... that is, until someone crosses the line. Once a line is crossed, trust is broken, and distance needs to be placed between her/him and the friend of the opposite sex.

Holton - 25yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Any answer other than “yes” implies there are potential issues in the relationship that need addressing.

Friends are natural. You don’t choose them based on gender and anyone having you believe that it is inappropriate is pushing their own insecurities on to you in an unhealthy way, which can further manifest in other walks of life. Best address it, even if you currently have no friends of the opposite sex and have no desire to find any.

Woof - 26yo - - level 45 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Valeria - 20yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely! Friendships shouldn’t change just Bc you’re in a relationship. Stay true to yourself. Unless that friend was more than a friend at any time. That’s a different story.

Molly - 34yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, why wouldn't it be? As long as there isn't anything morr than friendship going then its totally fine and if your patner has a problem with it, then there is a lack of trust on their side or just extreme jealousy and neither is good.

Jasmin - 18yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Sure. Your partner needs to be secure enough in your relationship to not mind who your friends are as long as their not disrespectful towards your relationship.

Brittany - 29yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Definitely ok as long as it stays friendly:)

Ashly - 34yo - level 27 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

This is a complicated question. Simply, yes; however, your friendship with the opposite sex (if the sex of interest) should never become more intimate than your existing relationship. The term intimate, as used here, refers to emotional as well as physical.

Ashley - 25yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely. I get along better with women as friends. And I have been in a relationship with someone who gets along better with men. It was no problem

Scottie - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes but with respect & boundaries

BRANDON - 32yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Tara - 28yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Blair - 54yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes.

Chloe - 18yo - level 23 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Jason - 35yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course!

Gabriela - 23yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes why not

Sushobhan - 33yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes as long as everyone understands boundaries—including the other partner respecting that friendship

Brianna - 28yo - level 26 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, as long as it is platonic and respectful.

Hakeem - 24yo - level 26 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Matthew - 20yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, why not? Can't you control your sexual desires and impulses?

Lucas - 31yo - level 23 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, why should it matter what gender your regular friends are?

Wietske - 27yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely

Brandi - 18yo - level 38 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes I trust her completely.

Chris - 43yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

It is ok, it is all about how much trust you have as a couple

anonymous - 34yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. If there is insecurity about it than that is an issue of trust and needs to be resolved. Distrust is not welcome in the relationship.

Brandon - level 35 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, why not..

Dolly Sahni - 28yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
6 months ago

That is a very individual question, because some couples don't have the trust & back bone to allow friends of the opposite sex. The two of you have absolute trust in one another or else it will turn out very bad. He they more than likely had those friends before they met you so why shouldn't they still have them? Now you can't just say oh yeah I trust them u have to truly from deep in you're soul trust that person.

Teresa - 43yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes!!

Ninnette - 18yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Every situation is different. Is it possible to have friends of the other sex? Yes, it's possible. It's also possible that one of the parties will stray over the line one day when you least expect it.

I've been dating a woman for over a year now. We were both up front since the begining that we have friends of the opposite sex. We've both lost friends who tried to cross the line. Fortunately, neither of us have.

Mark - 50yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes but it will cause a problem at some point, good luck with that lol

Tim - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, Her life is important as mine. So I respect her friendships. Also some couples get better by opposite sex friend's an advice. It's not bad thing

Joseph - 31yo - level 24 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Depends on how both partners fill. For me and my love it depends but it depends if we both know them. If we dont i would rather not cause then no problems

Valerie - 39yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. If you really know yourself and you are on a commited relationship having friends shouldn't be an issue. You just have to Make sure you set some limits and boundaries.

Shama - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Amélie - 36yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Jeff - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course

Sophie - 19yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Gabby - 38yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes. As long as they are only just friends

Charity - 29yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, but I don't feel it's right to only choose to go out with those friends alone.

James - 41yo - level 28 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

No they always end up sleeping together

Sean - 33yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely! It depends on the relationship, but as a general rule, I think it's wise to just not be alone with someone if the opposite sex, at least not on a regular basis, and especially if your significant other doesn't know.

Bethany - 38yo - level 45 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Only if they are mutual friends or very long term friends, like they grew up together. No alone time, that's weird. And why would you want to go anywhere close to giving your partner a reason to worry?

Ronnie - 27yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Rarely. Someone always has more intense feelings.

Nova - 41yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Mutual couple friends is ok. Anything other than that is playing with fire

anonymous - 34yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Matthew - 31yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Only if they are a mutual friend of your spouses and you never spend time alone with them.

Tammy - 51yo - level 24 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Daniel - 41yo - level 26 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes

Tiffany - 37yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes.

Thorsten - 43yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes , only if it was someone you where not romanticly involved of grow up together even beter .... both!

Gert - 35yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes and if your partner says no then say goodbye! Trust is something that means everything and if you think I’m going to do something with someone else or I think you’re going to do something with someone else then we shouldn’t be together.

Amanda - 30yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of coarse as long as that friend isn't an ex boyfriend or girlfriend...

Amanda - 37yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

its ok if a man is the the stay at home dad and the wife works as long as when you hang out with the couple your hanging out with the guy and she is with the girl. if the guy is hanging out with your wife and you are a third wheel theres a problem. unless you like his wife and want to have a foursome

tim - 41yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I definitely believe that it's fine thi have friends of the opposite sex.

Toni - 47yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Opposite sex friends is okay but hanging out one on one just isn’t a good idea. I don’t think it’s about trust, I think it’s about being wise and being careful about how closely you bond with someone of the opposite sex.

Karene - 37yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, but your SO needs to be made comfortable about the situation.

Paul Knauer - 45yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

B friends WHO R FRIENDS OF BOTH PARTIES OR WANT TO B FRIENDS WITH BOTH. BEING ONE SIDED CAUSE ISSUES

Tawana - 39yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

It’s not something I’m comfortable with myself. For me no. My wife should be the only woman in my life. I should be the only man in hers. But it’s not my place to make that choice for her.

Jeffery - 48yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, but never let it seem like they are more valued or leaned on in the relationship.

Tiffany - 35yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Depends.

Tiffany - 35yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Keeping the answer as simple as the question seems...yes. I actually encourage friendships outside of our relationship. He doesn't quite understand how I could think like that but my belief is that - choice keeps a relationship healthy. Having your mate/spouse hang out with others and still "choose" to be with you is an awesome feeling. I don't ever want to be an "obligation". Friendships have a cut-off. I don't believe that your "bestie" should be someone of the opposite sex. Not safe at all...hahaha.

TESHA - 43yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

It depends on if you have ever cheated or not. If you have cheated on your significant other, I don’t think that you can be trusted to have friends of the opposite sex. You lost that right when you crossed the friend boundary before. Also, it depends on the type of friendship you’re talking about. If you want to have a friend of the opposite sex and you only spend time with her/him alone, and never take your significant other to hang out with them, then chances are you don’t have the kind of relationship you should be having with your “friend.” Just friends is very clear. Anything else is unacceptable.

Laci - 33yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Ideally the trust should be there in a healthy relationship but realistically no one is in healthy relationships anymore.

Chelsea - 26yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely. Opposite gender friends can also give you insight about what your partner might be thinking or feeling. I myself have always had more male than female friends and it's never been in issue for a long term relationship

Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Absolutely. Opposite gender friends can also give you insight about what your partner might be thinking or feeling. I myself have always had more male than female friends and it's never been in issue for a long-term relationship

Add a comment Send
7 months ago

No!

Mary - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

No. Human nature is too powerful. Attachments are made the more time you spend with another human being ...especially of opposite sex. (From a heterosexual point of view, could be different for same sex couples?)

Tara - 35yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Short answer - NO.

Latia - 43yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

No it's almost like an emotional cheating you give your emotions to the opposite sex in the opposite sex may or may not take it more than just being a friend so instead of fighting over Who's Cheating and who's not cheating it's best just have same-sex friends

Natalee - 28yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I could not say it any better than Solina

Ron - 50yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, unless it is a temptation.

anonymous - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

No

Kris - 31yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes mutually

Amanda - 33yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

O think it can cause problems

Amber - 39yo - level 31 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, as long as the friends are mutual and your other half is ok with the relationship.

Jennie - 42yo - level 48 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I say it's ok if the friend existed before you guys got together. If its a new friend of the opposite sex then it should be a mutual friend that you met together.

Intrigue - 44yo - level 31 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

I’m not against it but we DON’T have opposite sex friends even with us having that trust and bond🅿️👌🏾💯

Ja’keyia - 25yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, why should it matter what gender your regular friends are.

Wietske - 27yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

It’s a no for me thanks

Trish - 31yo - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Of course it’s okay. The opposite sex can be friends, and if anyone trys to control that, you’re in a terrible relationship. If you can’t trust your partner to have friends, they’re not really your partner.

Kailey - 22yo - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

Yes, if you are swingers

Ronnie - 37yo - level 26 -
7 months ago

Your relationship sounds healthy.

Kailey - 22yo - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
7 months ago

It depends on what each other thinks and also the culture each person in the couple comes from. I would say it’s okay as long as the friends are trusted by both people in the couple. For example if a guy has a girlfriend (who we will name Amy) and girl friends, as long as Amy trusts the girl friends I assume it should be okay! The more trust and discussion there is the better!

Anas - 18yo - level 20 -
Add a comment Send

Your reaction: