21 - 393 - 8 months ago

Do double standards ever arise out of jealousy, how do you respond if/when they do?

Kat - level 16

Your reaction:

Reactions (21)

8 months ago

Yes but I make it a point to show him the double standard and he knows I won’t tolerate a one sided relationship. If something makes him uncomfortable then he should know I would be uncomfortable he did the same. If he’s ok doing something he has to trust that my intentions are just as harmless if I do the same

Benni - 31yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes and double standards can be ok depending on specifics. A woman should not have male friends because the men are much more likely to have ulterior motives.

Kyle - 41yo - level 13 -
8 months ago

WTF ?

Madgscherly - 26yo - level 34 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

They do quite a bit there is everybody's else standard then there is the Brodey standard Wich is never good enough. Communication? I try but she don't want any part of it from me anyway, everybody else is good to communicate with for her.

Brodey - 40yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes and it mostly hurts me. Sometimes i get angry but it always hurts

Barry - 35yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes and it creates a distrust in the relationship

Keone - 34yo - level 36 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes, likely they do. Honest communication is the best way, but to be honest it takes an argument before we are ready to communicate for real.

Michelle - 42yo - level 26 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes, jealous does arise out of double standards. It allows for one person to put limitations on the other without having the obligation of having to do the same. Causing the other person to feel conflicted by wanting their other half to be happy but always wanting things to be fair in the relationship. The best way to handle any type of conflict in a relationship is to communicate.

Andrea - 25yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

She is always right

Kevin - 37yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

All the time it's always one sided

Angela - 44yo - level 20 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Yes

Nannette - 51yo - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Ever? Yes. They develop from different places for everyone so to ask if they ever do the answer has to be yes. We try to avoid then and fix the underlying issue, which i think is usually trust, and then move forward.

Elizabeth - 37yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

No double standards do not come up out of jealousy. I believe that if double standards exist in an intimate relationship there is an underlying issue of lack of respect that needs to be dealt with first. No quick fix.

Natasha - 37yo - level 38 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

No double standards done come up out of jealousy. I believe that if double standards exist in an intimate relationship there is an underlying issue of lack of respect that needs to be dealt with first. No quick fix.

Natasha - 37yo - level 38 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I try to understand why I have a double standard, either in my favor or against me. Then we work to resolve the situation.

Alyx - 28yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

I simply acknowledge the double standard and then try to find a way to work together to find a solution.

Janna - 39yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

out of jealousy? no.

out of being a flawed human being that is sometimes egoistic, self centered and narrow minded? almost every day to some degree. the trick is to get yourself and your partner to show some empathy and reverse the roles in your mind.

if your partner still doesn't understand she/he has a double standard then you have a hypocrite on your hands.

Markus - 28yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Turn the table and ask how they would feel? Should never be a double standard. Protect each other always.

JEREMY - 42yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Why should their be any double standards....ever.

Rob - 42yo - level 11 -
8 months ago

They simply exist in life whether we like it or not. We may be able to write off the small ones and say it’s unfair or can be worked on but ask a person how they would feel/react if they saw a woman slapping a man in public and then vice versa and I can guarantee you’ll find some very conflicted feelings on the matter, often with the man being the guilty party in both scenarios.

Is it unfair on men? Hell yeah, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t understand why and have a similar reaction.

Woof - 26yo - - level 45 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Depending on the situation but let it be once but if its continued I'll call you on it.

Michael - 26yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

For me the best response is to eliminate double standards as much as possible. If you are able to do something, your partner should be able to do the same.

Shyam - 21yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
8 months ago

Double standards can arise out of jealousy, but figuring out the underlying problem can go a long way to solving the jealousy and double standards.

Crystal - 35yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send

Your reaction: