100 - 1327 - 1 month ago

Should your husband still buy you a gift if you are both broke?

Quintana - 43yo - in a relationship for 12 years - Married - 2 - Ceres ca, United States - level 10

Your reaction:

Reactions (100)

1 month ago

A gift can be a video, a letter, a picture, is the meaning not the cost

Ruby - 23yo - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I think that falls in the category of if it can be done and he wants to do it. It should be more about the desire to do for your partner than the cost. So he could still do something homemade that could be meaningful as a gift or if he can find a way to do it without putting you guys behind. But he has to want to do it just like you should want to do something for him. Making it a requirement is what could cause problems in the long run.

Andre - 33yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No, make a homemade gift, like make dinner for her.

Ric - 55yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

If it don’t put you in a hole then it should be okay but there are thoughtful ways to do things without money

Corey Williams - 36yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Dick in a box

anonymous - 29yo - level 2 -
1 week ago

Don't even have to wrap it lol

Quintana - 43yo - in a relationship for 12 years - Married - 2 - Ceres ca, United States - level 10 -
1 week ago

Just 3 easy steps! 😁

Melissa - 49yo - level 42 -
1 week ago

I still crack up EVERY TIME I see that!!! HAHA

Sean - 53yo - level 20 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Definitely not buying one, if you are broke.

Andrew - 24yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No, but maybe he could do something that he doesn't need to buy.

Don - 48yo - level 18 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Not all gifts are expensive so he could be creative and not spend money on a gift

Flor - 26yo - level 45 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes don't have to be expensive

melissa - 36yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No he should find a free one or make one.

Nicole - 43yo - level 7 -
1 week ago

I would love to see what he would make

Quintana - 43yo - in a relationship for 12 years - Married - 2 - Ceres ca, United States - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Ofcourse not! And you shouldn’t expect anything if you are broke. Priorities first!
You could give him a gift like homemade dinner, stay in movie night etc to show that he isn’t pressured in having to get you materialistic gifts.

Aimee - 26yo - level 49 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Absolutely yes. Even if it's as simple as a chocolate bar from a gas station. Means he was thinking of you.

Anna - 46yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I rather have his attention than any gift any day

Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

In my experience being broke makes for more thought out gifts. Pick wild flowers, get crafty. I doesn't take a lot of money to give a present. It's a matter of being mindful of the situation and the status of your account. In short yes you should still give a gift.

Stud - 43yo - level 31 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

If you are broke then no. Both sides should be understanding of that. Why not spend some time together watching a movie? Or maybe cook a meal together? Any time spent together for who I'm with is a gift in itself. A gift is all about perspective

Dan - 28yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

he is a gift to me already, He is the most treasured gift!

Obim - 26yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

No. There are plenty of ways you can show each other appreciation without spending money.

Crystal - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

No

Shanna - 35yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

He can easily write a poem or love letter

Terrence - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

A gift doesn't have to be something that costs money! It's not always about money. Think about quality time together a movie in cooking dinner together a massage at home something like that!

Kelsey - 30yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

I think that he should at least do something to continuously make you feel special.

Jocelyn - 38yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Absolutely not he should make something an them gifts should be the best one anyways

Jessie - 29yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Don't purchase a gift. More like something from the heart. Spend time together. Go for a walk together. Sit and talk to each other. Give her a massage and vice versa. Do something for her that you'd wany done for you.

Jennifer - 44yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

I know that some people’s love language is giving/receiving gifts, but In my opinion, you don’t have to spend money (or a lot of money) on a personal gift. Like a lot of people said already, it could be something like cooking a special dinner, making a card. Gifts can be a lot more than material things. If money is tight, then it might be worth it to skip on the gift purchase this year.

Lauren - 26yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

I would say no because there is so much more to give in a relationship than gifts. I think that if the situation arises during a special occasion our simple acts towards one anther should be enough.

Paul - 42yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

It's not about the price tag but rather about whether he or she tries for the gesture. So - yes!

Christian - 38yo - level 24 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

No. There a things that dont cost a thing that would mean just as much!

Laura - 34yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Yes, a gift doesn’t have to be purchased. He can cook dinner or so do one of my chores and I’ll be happy with that.

Elsie - 54yo - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Something meaningful but doesn't break the bank

Wissam - 30yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Absolutely

Timothy - 45yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Obviously not...

Steve - 38yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

It all depends on what it is a box of chocolates or a card or maybe flowers for under 10$ can change everything in a day

JA💲PERS - 33yo - in a relationship for 14 years - Married - 3 - Rochester Mills, United States - level 19 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

Buy no but still give gifts now and then

Tim - 51yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
1 week ago

If he knows you well enough, he can come up with something without spending money!

Ben - 39yo - level 15 -
1 week ago

Yea im happy when he surprises me with fruit or yogurt, but this is how he shows his love is when he buys things for me and if he is not expresses his self in another way . I tell him I rather have his attention and touching even just my arm or shoulder when it not in bed or during foreplay you don't know how much i miss that i tell him all the time you know he can stop alot of negitive thing if only he took me in his arms loved on me and I tell him that also.

Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I think that he shouldn't buy a gift if money is super tight unless he worked an extra shift or sold something unneeded to get something special. It would be way better for him to make your day amazing with sweet actions.

Jynn - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I dont think so. If you guys are struggling with money at the moment, it'd be better if he gave you something homemade, like cupcakes, a massage, a drawing etc.

Juli - 20yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

There are gifts that dont cost money...like massages or helping with household chores

Debbie - 37yo - level 25 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No, but he could write you something or make you a special meal or give a special massage, or plan a netflix and chill night or you know anything else that is free and shows you that he cares. Gifts aren't the important thing, the feelings behind them are, and those feelings can be shown in more than just the material way. Make sense?

Nikki - 31yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I think it's the thought that counts and making somthing homemade is much more thoughtful and it comes from the heart

Tera - 38yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No

Jennifer - 50yo - level 48 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No, not buy you a gift. But non monetary gifts are awesome if you're broke!

Seneca - 24yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

He doesn't necessarily have to buy something, it could be handmade and more personal

Jessica - 16yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Of course something cheap .. at least a card

Crystal - 40yo - level 38 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No. Just give them your time and attention. Watch a movie, give her a foot/back massage or draw her up a bath. No reason to spend money

Jordyn - 23yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

The two horsemen of the relationship epocalypse are "being broke" and "shit / no sex".
Probs shouldn't be drunk- buying $1000 shoes for her when hundreds of thou in debt.
The shoes can be used a gavel to sentence my guilty ass!

Luke - 37yo - level 22 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes but meaningful gifts

Korey'e - 29yo - level 24 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Not a "store bought" gift but he can still do something nice for/with you that doesn't cost a thing! Usually much more enjoyable to me anyways

Kara - 42yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No need to spend any money and become further in debt. Instead, be creative and write a love note. Or make something from materials you already have at the house. It’ll probably mean more anyway.

Meredith - 42yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

If nothing else such as bills k r other necessities are sue them i dont see the pronlem but if there are then that the priority!!

Riccardo - 39yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No and you should be understanding about it

Stephanie - 31yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes, give her a gift! But no, it doesn't have to cost much if anything. We still have the little bookshelf I made my wife for the first Christmas after we were married 30 years ago! I bought the lumber for nearly nothing from the cut pieces at Home Depot.

Brent - 52yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Love is the greatest gift of all.

Syreeta - 32yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It doesnt always need to be expensive.

Brando - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I would say homemade. Thatsvwhat i do. Ever read short story called "the gift of magi"

Paige - 23yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Money means nothing.. the perfect gift is priceless

Amonte - 25yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

A very small gift ❤️

Tamycha Burrell - 27yo - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Up to him as there was after all a breakup.

Kyle - 28yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It's the thought and effort which counts. The same if it was a wife buying for the husband, price doesn't matter as long as there is emotion and sentimate behind the action.

Andrew - 27yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes. They find the money for other stuff so they should find the money for this.

Duane - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It depends...its always the thought, not the cost. Sometimes just a bite of chocolate is a very romantic gift.

Shalena - 50yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Read everyone's response on here, they are all right. That is your answer_

William - 27yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Probs not.. broke means not enough. A romantic gesture is is cheaper and more thoughtful.

Sabrina - 29yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

If money is that much of a concern then the gift doesnt have to be from money.. he could make something..cook something.. write something..be above the material objects amd accept gifts of love in other ways .. u both should make it a thing this holiday to write yur gifts or make them up online but u get the point..good luck

Rene - 32yo - level 17 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes absolutely

Malachi - 42yo - level 16 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes because it shows her you still love and care about her

Harold mawyer - 40yo - level 15 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Gifts are free even when broke- homemade anything is worth more than commercialized items.

Shannon - 47yo - level 12 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

NOT AS A REQUIREMENT, BUT IF HE CAN SWING ONE, HELL ABSOULETY!

Felicia - 31yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

A homemade, thoughtful gift can be the best gift regardless of if you are broke or not.

Dustin Plumb - 39yo - level 32 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

I would make a gift

angel - 48yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

A gift doesn’t have to cost money. It can be hand made, a poem or something just to say I was thinking of you

Erin - 40yo - level 4 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No make a gift at home

Shannon - 33yo - level 21 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Send me a kiss on the postcard

Hanna - 46yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes

Mary - 40yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It shouldn't be expected because that would make it so that a person takes it for granted. Things like this should never be taken for granted

Sabrina - 40yo - level 30 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Not necessarily buy! This has happened with me and my husband a lot when we were younger and sometimes it’s best to receive something from the heart! Not many men know how to five something heart felt so enjoy it if he offers it

Leslie - 45yo - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No

Ashley - 27yo - level 2 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No not at all

Neecee - 43yo - level 14 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Just his time should be good enough

Kelsey - level 3 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes, it doesn’t have to cost anything but being thoughtful means everything

Antoinette - 37yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

All depends on the occasion. Christmas, birthday, absolutely. Just a random gift...no. But if you are broke, get your tired ass out there and get that paper.

Joseph - level 11 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Being broke requires getting a bit more creative in your gift giving, but if it is how you receive love (through gifts) then yes, most definitely. No one needs to break the bank but there are many ways to give a gift on a budget.

Hannah - 30yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It's more of the thought that's behind it. Being broke just means the gift has to be creative or meaningful to her. Making her breakfast in bed or a nice dinner could be an idea.

Cristen - 36yo - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

It’s time to make it really romantic with very little financial outlay

Quite often it’s not the cost but the thought gone into it

Mark - 47yo - level 9 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Depends on what you consider a gift cus I could put a bow on anything 😉

Mike - 34yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Buy? No. Absolutely not. He can make a gift or give an act of service

Katrina - 40yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No the gift does not mean spending money. Make something rather it's a card or letter anything. It's the thought that counts to me and the effort not how much money is spent

Cheyenne - 28yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

He should use wisdom, a gift from the heart (homemade) would be best in my opinion.

Haley - 28yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No. That’s not what’s best for you both. A gesture is better than a gift.

Cindy - 51yo - level 43 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

A day of him pampering u at home...

Nikki - 36yo - level 7 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Yes

Eve - level 6 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

There is no need to buy a gift when you can make or do things that are free- pick some flowers, light a candle and make a nice dinner, write a love letter- and actually these things are so much nicer and more thoughtful!

Melodie - 35yo - level 8 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Only if it's really cheap

Derreck - 40yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

That seems like something you'll have to figure out together. Ideally, you can discuss it and agree on a course of action. A handmade gift, an IOU for a massage from him, or the gift of his time, etc, could be a great alternative if gifts are important to you but money is tight. It may be helpful to remember that being broke now doesn't mean you'll be broke forever, so it doesn't mean he'll never get you anything ever. And if you can emotionally accept that skipping the gift doesn't mean he loves you less, that would be great. But if you can't, that's something to discuss lovingly ahead of time: better to be honest than resent the situation later.

Christine - 28yo - level 33 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

My partner and I are from different countries so have vastly different incomes. I really enjoy buying her gifts (even when I can’t really afford it) but she always reacts better to the stuff I make her over the stuff I buy her. It’s more difficult for her to buy me things, but whatever she does buy she personalises it which just makes it more special and I love it.
Think of how you can have a gift that isn’t monetary based, or, if having a bought gift is really important to you both, discuss beforehand what gifts (and prices) would be appropriate for the both of you <3

Mia - 25yo - level 42 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

There are plenty of gifts that can be given that are free. One of my favorite to receive is his time and attention.

Michelle - 38yo - level 19 -
2 weeks ago

That would be better then any gift

Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Not a piece of jewelry or monetary gift but if youd like something there is plenty he can still do. A massage.. a night at the beach watching the sunset. A drawing

Derek - 49yo - level 13 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Can a small one especially if there's a actual need that's useful

Tabitha - 35yo - level 10 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No I don't expect my husband to buy me a gift of we can't afford it. That is part of the Sarah realities of life and priorities. They come first and I have more respect for my husband for taking care of our priorities over a senseless gift that is possible bought in Vein.

Cindy - 50yo - level 1 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

No, as a matter of fact, my girl and I enjoy gifts from the heart more than purchased gifts, because that's exactly what they are...gifts from the heart.

Sean - 53yo - level 20 -
Add a comment Send
2 weeks ago

Nah

Bryan - 35yo - level 5 -
Add a comment Send

Your reaction: